Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Post That Has Nothing To Do With Writing

I know, I know! I'm a day late!

But I have a good reason!

Okay, I have a kind of good reason.

I have new carpet!!! Yay!!

But there's a long story before that. My husband had placement break last week which means he didn't have school. (Don't mistake that for time-off, he was very, very busy. In fact he got his applications all completed for the nine schools that he's decided to apply to for his PhD program. Go Kenny!) However, he did have a bit more time than usual, so we decided that would be a great time to get new carpet, something we've been talking about doing for about six months. So I ordered the carpet and the guy said they could install Friday or Saturday. So on Wednesday I call to find out which day it is going to be and the woman says, "Oh yes, you are on the schedule for tomorrow." Thursday! Whoo-hoo! I say great and immediately start moving the contents of my living room into my family room which has very nice wood floors. This included a couch and two bookshelves which, of course, had to be emptied before the were moved. So I spend like an hour huffing and puffing and moving my furniture, and then--I kid you not--about two minutes after I get done moving all the things I can move by myself, the lady calls back and tells me it is a mistake. The carpet won't get here until Monday so they will install on Tuesday.

I about died.

So for the last six days I have had a completely empty living room and a very full family room. Then, all day Monday we took everything out of our bedroom/office, walk-in closet/nursery, and the entertainment center in the living room that I can't move by myself. The rooms we had re-carpeted comprise about half of our house so you can imagine what the squishiness was like. It was awful. There was a table and a desk and a bed in my kitchen. Plus we took the seats out of our van so we could haul all the carpeting, padding and drywall/closet I knocked out/old wainscotting from the great closet renovation of August to the dump, so I had a van seat in my kitchen too. I had three bookshelves, a dresser, a couch and all the misc. stuff in my family room as well as all the kids' toys that are always there.

And don't even ask about my laundry room.

My house was squish city!

But the carpeting is beautiful! Seriously gorgeous! And the installers did a really, really good job! It makes such a difference just to have a solid strip of carpet lead from the bedroom to the walk in closet, which has never had matching carpet! It looks like a complete room now instead of what it is, which is a leftover small bedroom that just happens to be tacked onto the master bedroom. It looks like someone had a plan when they added onto this house . . . which, I'm afraid to say, they didn't. (My house is a very odd jigsaw puzzle.)

So, needless to say, I am very excited about the carpet.

And I should probably make some kind of very wise comparison to writing or revising or something, but quite frankly, after two days of moving furniture and pulling out what felt like millions of staples, I'm too tired . . .

Exciting news though. On Friday my editor called to let me know that my cover has been changed. *cricketscrickets*

Again.

*cricketscrickets*

The good news is that I love it so much I am considering running away with it. We are talking about Europe. Maybe Ireland.

But the good news for you guys is that she also said I should get permission to show it this week. So once I get permission I will post it.

And Ah, it is a thing of beauty. I can't wait for you guys to see!

Ciao!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see your new carpet! I'm glad you were able to get it done!

Your new cover is gorgeous! ;)

<3

Maureen Lipinski said...

I'm in the middle of soul-crushing revisions myself and I'll do an analogy for you: Your situation is similar to revisions in that just when you think you're at the end...you end up with furniture stacked in your kitchen.

Aprilynne Pike said...

LOL! I love it Maureen!

Rachel said...

I hope you didn't have to cook dinner in that kitchen monday night...

Anonymous said...

it will feel and smell just like a new house. and now your house just got bigger. you remember the story about the man whoes house was too small, so the wise man told him to put the goats in the house, then the sheep then the pigs, cows, and finally horses. the man thought the wise man was truly crazy. The wise man then told him to take all the animals out. wah lah, the house was instantly bigger. congratulations on your carpeted, bigger house.

ORION said...

Gee carpet. Soft on feet and everything. I am massively jealous but you have winter too so I guess I'm okay with it...

Aqui Wolfe said...

So, what does your new smexy cover look like?

Holly Kennedy said...

Congrats on your new carpet!
And, of course, a high five for your earlier post on the upcoming debut of WINGS.

Wonderful!!

Angela said...

Congrats! We recently re-carpted our house as well, so I completely understand moving all the furniture into the one room without carpet! But the results are awesome! Enjoy your new carpet (I'm still thoroughly in love with mine 7 months later!).

Can't wait to see the cover for Wings!