Monday, June 07, 2010

Party!


I met Tom at the YAllapalooza that Changing Hands held several months ago and heard about his book, PARTY. Honestly? I'm not really a contemporary realism girl and although I was pleased to meet him and happy to hear of his success with his book, I wasn't really rushing out to read it. What can I say? As I often tell people, I think books are boring unless they have kissing or magic, and preferably both. But I did get a chance to read an ARC a couple months later and took my friend up on it. (And proceeded to destroy the binding on her ARC on accident. I still feel very badly about that!!!)

When I am doing school visits, I challenge kids to read outside of both their demographic and their comfort zone. If they always read realism, I challenge them to pick up a fantasy now and again. If they always read fantasy to dip their toe in the real world now and again.

It is obvious that I need to take my own advice.

PARTY is a novel told in eleven chapters, and eleven voices, all of whom you only get to hear from once. More interestingly, the main character is chapter one. Never to be directly heard from again. It is about one night--about 18 hours--that change everyone. It's like a novel-experience of the movie Crash, which I have yet to see, but because of this book, now have on my Netflicks cue list.:D

So what does this have to do with anything? Well, PARTY came out at the end of April and Tom and I continue to be good friends and we thought that since our books are so closely related *sarcastic snort* we would do a signing together!

So come see us at The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale at 7:00 tomorrow (Tuesday, June 8th) as we discuss what it's like to be a new novelist, how we got where we are, and why we write reality or fantasy (sadly, no mud wrestling will be involved.)

Hope to see you there! (And hopefully I will be able to stop talking about the new bookshelves in my office long enough to actually discuss the topics I mentioned.:))

Hope to see you there!!!

(Also, just as an added incentive, this is the last signing I am doing in the Phoenix area for a while. Please come!)

Ciao!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad to say, I had not heard of your books before attending your appearance at the Borders in Allen TX. Although I had attended this event to see one of the other authors who appeared with you, I was completly taken by your sense of humor. Due to your sense of humor and general personality, I bought your 2 books and I must say they are wonderful. I look forward to your future releases.

molly said...

I am going to have to add this to my books to read list. It sounds interesting and I LOVED the movie Crash.

Josin L. McQuein said...

I couldn't agree more with the "read outside your zone" approach. I was nudged out of mine recently because I won an ARC of a contemporary YA novel on an agent's blog and found it surprisingly enjoyable.

(I have the same taste - fantasy, magic, anything other than real life, please.)

Your description of this as a written version of Crash makes me wonder if another step out of the fantasy zone isn't in order.

Lindsay said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I'll add PARTY to my list. Love the chance to 'read outside my zone.' :)

Izzy said...

I have read two of the books that you have written, Wings and Spells. I honestly have to say that I love both books and wish you to write a third. Your books are filled with love, humor, adventure, danger, and many other eye cathcing things. Your second book spells is amazing. I love how it goes, but I hope that you plan to write another one. The way the story ends leaves a blank, one that I wish would be filled.I realyy want to know what happens, and trust me, I am not the only one who feels this way. I hope you take my suggestion into consideration. I am excited to see what you come up with.

Anonymous said...

Is Party out in stores yet?

Anonymous said...

sorry never mind

Nichole Giles said...

Sounds like a book I need to check out. I'm interested. Thanks for the recommendation.

I agree with you, though. The best books all have kissing and magic. Le sigh.

Kari Pike said...

And those bookshelves! I love them! Wow!

Anonymous said...

You need to post a picture of your shinny brand new bookcase with all your books on it!!!

I can tell you it is not enough to hold all of my lovely books!!!

Empress Awesome said...

Wow wow wow! Definitely need to check out that book

Julie said...

Will there be a third book in the wings series? What will it be called? What's it going to be about?

Emma said...

I love Aprilynne's books! And I enjoy reading her posts but there aren't that many because she's so busy maybe? :( Anyway, a big fan! I would love for her to publish something else!

Ezmirelda said...

I’m giving you a blogger award because your blog’s amazing!
http://parafantasy.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

I've got to admit, this isn't typically the kind of book I'd pick up either. Like you said, no magic or kissing. But I'm intrigued by the idea of telling a book from so many different points of view. I've got to pick it up and see how the author pulled it off!